Travelling to the EU/Schengen countries:

Since the UK is so close to the other European countries, most of the students here often use their short holiday for an exciting Europe trip! However, you have to be very careful when applying the Schengen visa as it depends on the countries that you want to go to and also its regulations. Every Schengen member country has its own requirements regarding the documents needed to obtain the certain type of visa. Some countries like France and Germany have their own consulate/embassy in Edinburgh, which needs you to book the appointment in advance in order to secure a slot. Same procedures if you apply through VFS global Edinburgh. 

Here are the list of EU and EEA countries:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the UK.

The Schengen Area Member of States are:

Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland,  Liechtenstein

Documents required

A unified exemplar of the requested documents with the additional information is meticulously described and listed below:

  1. Fully completed application form.
  2. 2 photos must be recently taken (not more than 6 months)
  3. The passport as well as all the copies of your previous visas, valid for at least 3 months prior to your departure is required. The passport must have at least two blank pages.
  4. One must have a copy of the reservation of the tickets for the time intended to be travelling.
  5. The travel medical insurance (You can purchase this through or at the nearby post office for around £15)
  6. Bank statement (3 months transaction). Sometimes, they would ask for  a bank statement from the bank directly. However, with online bank statement, it might be possible that it will still get through!
  7. Student letter, again, it is better to get the student letter from your respective uni’s reception, it will be easy to get and more legitimate although you can actually get it online from your uni student portal.
  8. Some of the countries required a photocopy of your passport.
  9. If you are visiting and staying with a friend, you have to ask them for a letter and photocopy of their passport.
  10. If you apply through the embassy/consulate, you have to buy a first class royal mail postage poly mailing bag at the post office.

Please note that you have to apply in Edinburgh for those countries that have embassy/consulate in Scotland region. For countries like USA, then you have to go to London to apply the visa.